I challenge writers still interested in this fandom to write an enjoyable, believable, and readable story. I don't care what it's about - romance, action, adventure, comedy, angst, general...whatever, I want to read it. I don't care who it involves - canon characters, fan-characters, reader-insert, whatever, I want to read it.
You have to keep the story within three major things: Enjoyable - Readable - and Believable. I don't want to read a fan fiction where Hiei proposes to an American girl and has >9000 spelling and grammar errors - I won't enjoy it, I won't believe it, and I won't even be able to read it.
So here are the rules you must follow/along with some taboos that are forbidden from your story:
1) You must have it beta'd or proofread several times to ensure the quality of your spelling, word choice, and sentence structure. Not only with this be a plus to all your readers but it will save the mods a lot of time and give you a good impression.
2) If you choose to write a romance, whether it's with canon characters, OCs, or a reader-insert, just make sure it's believable and that it makes sense. Don't pair a character with Yomi just because you can - make sure there's a reason for the pairing.
3) Don't butcher the characters in an attempt to make them fit your story/ideals. Keep them as they are meant to be - as Yoshihiro Togashi wrote those characters - they are HIS, after all. For example, don't turn Keiko into an insanely jealous, conniving, vindictive woman for the sake of drama/sympathy for another character. In other words, don't make characters OOC.
4) FOLLOW CANON - I cannot stress this enough. The main characters shouldn't have any surprise siblings/ a new character shouldn't be a Spirit Detective / and limits should be kept within the YYH universe's rules.
List of Taboos:
+ No Western/Non Japanese names - YYH takes place in Japan...stick to Japanese names. Also, research your Japanese names - don't give a character two first names just because it sounds good. There are plenty of name resources available to you via world wide web.
+ Nothing relating to the 2000 era. YYH takes place in the late 80's, early/mid 90's. If your story does take place in the future, remember that the characters will be older as well, unless it's an AU fic.
+ No random insertions of Japanese/Anime specific tropes. Such as sweat drops - frustration marks - huge, biologically impossible blushes - get rid of them. Forever.
+ NO RANDOM JAPANESE ADDED INTO YOUR STORY. You're writing this story in English. Do not add Japanese to an English story unless you are actually going to write in Japanese and provide a reason for it and a translation if it's important. So no 'baka' - no 'chan' - no 'sama' - no 'ningen' - no 'youkai' - no 'onna' - no 'urasai' - JUST. WRITE. IN. ENGLISH.
+ No Kuwabara bashing - I can't believe I have to make this a taboo as it should be general knowledge BUT DON'T BASH KUWABARA. He's not an idiot. He's not purely comedic relief. He's not an insensitive pervert. You don't have to like him or even have him as a part of YOUR fanfiction...but don't act like he's not an important character and a dear friend to others.
+ No Mary-Sues/Gary-Stus. Please. Develop an interesting character with flaws, believable/relate-able goals and mindsets, and all that jazz. No beautiful, flawless appearances, no super powers that make him/her more powerful than all the characters in the story, no sob-story pasts that try and make you sympathize with the character, no giving them disabilities that don't actually prevent them from doing something...no crap characters allowed. This goes for villains, too.
+ Be UNIQUE/CREATIVE. Don't rewrite the YYH story with your character added in there - don't do the Makai/Dark Tournament all over again - think of things no one else has done before - or if they have, give credit for the idea and try to think of your own spin on that idea.
+ Lemons - I...couldn't care less if a story has an NC-17 scene...but if you do add one...for the love of all that's holy...please only write if you have experience writing adult material. Please be anatomically correct. Don't write a bad smut fic. The penis does NOT go into the clitoris. IT GOES INTO THE VAGINA. A man experiences a refractory period after climax - it's impossible for someone to go on for 'hours' or 'all night'. Period.
Length: Whatever you want - it can be a one shot, drabble, or multi-chapter story...just make sure you can develop your character enough in whatever length you decide to make your writing enjoyable.
Pairings: None required
Rating: Whatever you'd like - no mindless smut, please.
I doubt anyone will respond or is even able to...but if you can...please.
Categories: Yu Yu Hakusho Characters: Other, Various
Categories: TV-Shows/Radio, Anime/Manga, Books, Comics, Games, MMORPG, Movies, Musicals, Mythology, Originals, Poetry, RPFs Characters: Other, Various
A short list of some of my favorite dialogue prompts. There are no real rules for this challenge other than showing in your summary that you have accepted this challenge.
1. "You will never lose me by telling me the truth."
2. "We might keep secrets for a living, but we can't keep them from each other."
3. "You better check that attitude of yours."
4. "Just you saying that scares the shit out of me."
5. "The more you say it, the less I believe it."
6. "If I can't have you, I'll make sure no one will."
7. "I liked seeing this side of you; she should come out more often."
8. "I'll take that hug now."
9. "Man, they sound like they've been married for years."
10. "I don't know that guy, but I hate that guy!"
Categories: Wrestling, Anime/Manga, Books, Comics, Games, MMORPG, Movies, Musicals, Mythology, Originals, Poetry, TV-Shows/Radio, Webseries Characters: Other, Various
Categories: Gundam Wing Characters: Catherine Bloom, Chang Wufei, Dorothy Catalonia, Duo Maxwell, Heero Yuy, Hilde Schbeiker, Lady Une, Lucrezia Noin, Other, Quatre Raberba Winner, Relena Darlian, Sally Po, Treize Khushrenada, Trowa Barton, Various, Zechs Merquis
A list of some of my favorite dialogue prompts. There are no real rules for this other than showing in your summary that you have accepted this challenge.
1. "You're always looking out for me, but no one will hurt me as long as they know that I'm with you."
2. "I don't have a fear, I have a healthy respect for gravity."
3. "Princess Cranky, the grumpiest princess in all the land."
4. "[----]... did I lose you?"
5. "Love makes us do remarkable things."
6. "The guilty must confess, or everyone dies."
7. "You know, [----], you go down this path, our path, it's not a long life."
8. "See how easy it is to think first and kill people later?"
9. "That man would walk into a hail of bullets for a plate of bacon."
10. "If I cannot have it, I will do everything I can to destory it."
11. "That karma will come back to you."
12. "As cute and fuzzy as they look, they can kick you right where you don't want to be kicked."
13. "My line of work, you got to lie down with the lion as well as the lizard."
14. "Mm, I'd pay money to see that fight."
15. "Rule of the Kingdom is reserved for the strong."
16. "I'll tell you this: dude's got some skills."
17. "All these years, you've lived, but you've never had a life."
18. "[----], don't try to change me."
19. "I should have just said, 'You look beautiful'."
20. "You were protected by your parents' love."
Categories: Anime/Manga, Books, Comics, Games, MMORPG, Movies, Musicals, Mythology, Originals, Poetry, TV-Shows/Radio, Webseries, Wrestling Characters: Other, Various
Categories: Anime/Manga, Books, Comics, Games, Movies, Mythology, TV-Shows/Radio Characters: Other, Various